Scarlet Hollow Review (Early 2021)

*Contains Spoilers* A Delightfully Spooky Adventure

What initially piqued my interest in Scarlet Hollow was the setting. Few horror games have been set in my native Appalachia, so when I first heard about this project, I was excited, but I also had high expectations. It is my pleasure to report that this gem is everything I hoped for and more.

Scarlet Hollow begins by letting players choose their own character type (I opted for the overly observant bookworm traits). It takes place in a sleepy little Appalachian town and for those of us who grew up in Appalachia or are familiar with the culture, it’s an absolute delight. As the story progresses, players can choose what they say and do from a variety of options and these options are impacted by the character traits the player originally selected. This means there are seemingly endless routes for players to take and a very high degree of replayability to see every cutscene and outcome available.

The story, as I experienced it, moves slowly at first, but then takes a dive into the strange and spooky. At the time of this review, only two chapters are available (with several more on the way), and I eagerly await the continuation of my adventure.

One of the most charming aspects of the game is the art. Everything is hand drawn by artist Abby Howard, and the art style has a spooky flair that works well with the story. A few of the illustrated moments are downright creepy.

Another aspect the folks over at Black Tabby Games nailed is the soundtrack. The game’s theme is somber with a hint of banjo, which I adore. As the game progresses, the tracks take on a darker and more mysterious vibe, and it is incredibly effective at pulling the player into the happenings of Scarlet Hollow.

Overall, Scarlet Hollow is an excellent game. Even in its early stages, the story and spooky vibes are well worth checking out. Grab the game, check out the soundtrack, and buckle up for a wild ride filled with interesting characters and a mystery that grows deeper with every installment.

[Lady played Scarlet Hollow on PC with a mouse and keyboard]

Comments

Popular Posts