Kobolok Review

*Contains Spoilers* A Very Strange Adventure

Kobolok is certainly one of the more strange horror games I have ever played. The game is “based on an Eastern European fairytale about round bread” which is, as I understand it, called “Kobolok.” Some of the references in the game may have been lost on me, since I was not familiar with the fairytale, but for players who are, I’m sure there is much more to enjoy here. Despite my unfamiliarity with the tale, I still found a little value in my playthrough.

The player begins in a little village which is virtually deserted, standing in front of a sign announcing a bread making contest. As you venture into the village, you’ll run across an oven and you must run around collecting ingredients to bake bread. Wander a little bit more and you’ll run into a large yellow, sinister looking smiley which I assume is the Kobolok. The game bounces back and forth between a diner where it seems our character is searching for proof of the Kobolok, and the remote village where it appears that the bread contest may have taken a dark turn.

In truth, most of the content in this game failed to make sense. I rarely knew what I was doing or where I was going. However, I did find the game to be humorous. Certain ways the camera cut to character’s faces, the concept of “killer bread,” and some of the dialogue was pretty amusing.

After completing the game, I discovered there are multiple possible endings. I was unable to find all the endings, but the ones I did find didn’t help clear up my confusion.

Overall, I suggest players give this game a pass unless they are familiar with the Kobolok fairytale. The price (currently $9.99 USD when not on sale) is far too much to pay for a disjointed, confusing experience.

[Lady played Kobolok with a mouse and keyboard]


Developer: WooFoo
Publisher: WooFoo Games


Comments

Popular Posts